Sunday, December 4, 2011

Culture and How It Relates to Me

What is culture? Why is it important to a society?

Culture is what defines a society. One's culture can pertain language, religion, dance, music, customs, style of dress, or any number things. It can reach as far as an entire nation or be as small as one person. Culture is important because people need more than just their appearances to distinguish them from others. It is important for societies to pass their cultures down to each new generation so that they will have an identity and place in the world. Culture distinguishes us. It is one of the major traits that make human beings unique from animals.

Look up the definition of culture. Does your definition correspond with a dictionary's definition?

As defined by Dictionary.com, culture is the arts and other manifestations of human intellectual achievement regarded collectively. My definition somewhat corresponds with this definition because culture does distinguish humans from animals. All of the aspects of culture I described in my definition pertain to human intellect.

What is your personal culture? What has happened in your life to shape your culture?Are you aware of any aspects of culture of the country you have chosen?

My personal culture would consist of the life experiences that have shaped me. The traditions and the values that my parents have instilled in me have contributed to my culture. I don't believe any one isolated experience has shaped my culture but rather the collective whole of my life experiences. I am aware several aspects of the Dominican Republic's culture. One of the biggest aspects of Dominican culture that I admire is the music.

No comments:

Post a Comment